Boils are painful infections below the skin and generally clear on their own in two to three weeks. If you have a stubborn boil that just keeps hanging around, see your doctor as you may need further treatment.
For normal boils, treating them at home to reduce discomfort and help them heal quickly is really quite simple. Start with the simplest remedy and move to more complicated ones if the simplest isn't working. Check out these 6 simple remedies for your next boil.
1. Warm compress. The first thing to do if you have a boil, according to WebMD, is apply a warm compress. You don't want to puncture the boil on your own, but the heat will cause the infection to rise to the surface and burst on its own. It will also help reduce the pain.
2. Turmeric and ginger. Once the boil has burst, you want to keep the site clean. Medical News Today says you can treat the open site with a turmeric and ginger paste to aid in the healing. Mix the turmeric and ginger together first, and add enough water to create a paste. Put the paste on the boil for five to 10 minutes a day. Clean it off and cover the boil with a clean bandage.
3. Castor oil. Another healing option after the boil bursts is castor oil. Healthline says to apply the oil directly to the boil three times a day until the boil is gone.
4. Garlic. If you don't mind the smell of garlic, Medical News Today says to apply garlic juice from fresh garlic cloves to the open boil for 10 to 30 minutes three times a day until the boil is gone.
5. Tea tree oil. Tea tree oil is a natural antibacterial, so Healthline says to mix 5 drops of tea tree oil with 1 teaspoon of coconut oil. Apply this with a cotton swap to the affected area three times a day until the boil is gone.
6. Onion. Medical News Today gives a rather novel approach to treating the boil. It recommends cutting a chunk of raw onion and wrapping it in gauze. Place the gauze on the boil for one hour two times a day until the boil is gone.
Although boils are painful, they don't have to rule your life. By keeping the sites clean and covered to keep further infection from setting in, you can help your body heal quickly from its fight.