Whether you discover that you're expecting a little baby or have simply caught the flu, nausea can ruin your day. The feeling that you're going to throw up takes the enjoyment out of eating, socializing and doing just about everything else.
The problem is that most people don't know how to find relief from the nausea. Below are 6 simple things you can do at home to give yourself a helping hand.
1. Acupressure. If you're suffering from nausea due to pregnancy, the U.S. National Library of Medicine states that applying acupressure to the PC-6 can help control the nausea. It won't keep you from vomiting, but it can keep the nausea from being overwhelming. To locate PC-6, Everyday Roots says it's located on the inside of your wrist, two to three finger-lengths down from the palm of your hand between the two tendons. Apply pressure on both sides of the point anywhere from 10 seconds to 5 minutes to find relief.
2. Snacks. Morning sickness that seems to last all day can plague some women. For those, the Mayo Clinic recommends snacking throughout the day rather than eating three large meals. In the morning, try eating soda crackers or dry toast to calm your queasy stomach.
3. Rehydration. If the nausea turns into vomiting, replacing the fluids is extremely important. WebMD recommends using flat soda or a sports drink diluted with equal parts water to help replace lost fluid and electrolytes.
4. Ginger. According to the Mayo Clinic, ginger appears to have a calming influence on the stomach, so those who are suffering from nausea should try drinking ginger ale or ginger tea.
5. Liquid diet. If solid food just tends to turn your stomach, then try sticking to a liquid diet for a while. WebMD recommends easy liquids like clear broth, apple juice, Popsicles and Jell-O.
6. Aroma therapy. Another thing you may try is aroma therapy. Medical News Today recommends using lavender, chamomile, lemon oil, peppermint, rose or clove to try to calm your stomach.
The next time nausea strikes, put the pressure on, and send the nausea packing. If that doesn't work, try some of the other remedies to regain control of your life again.