Nuts seem to have a bad rap when it comes to healthy eating. People say to not eat too many because they are high in fat. That is a true statement; they are high in fats, but keep reading to find out why you shouldn't worry about it.
Cashews can be eaten by themselves or added to other nuts and some dried fruits to make a great trail mix that is easy to carry. These 6+ amazing health benefits of cashews may have you reaching for a jar the next time you are at the store.
1. Heart. Although cashews contain 20 percent saturated fat, Harvard Medical School points out that the stearic acid in the cashews cancels out the fat, making it a moot point. Cashews also help lower LDLs, helping you fight cardiovascular and heart disease.
2. Bones. Besides being good for your heart, Medical News Today states that cashews help decrease the risk of osteoporosis because they are high in copper.
3. Eyes. Lutein and zeaxanthin are important antioxidants that, as Healthline shares, are important for keeping eyes healthy and cataract-free.
4. Skin. NDTV FOOD recommends using cashew oil on your skin to keep it healthy. Cashews contain selenium, zinc, magnesium, iron and phosphorous which are critical to healthy skin.
5. Blood. According to Healthline, the copper and iron in the cashews help your body produce healthy red blood cells which are critical to fighting illnesses and keeping your bones strong.
6. Gallstones. Medical News Today reports that eating cashews may reduce your risk of developing gallstones.
7. Weight. A fact worth noting is shared by NDTV FOOD. Cashews tend to boost your metabolism so that excess fat is burned. They contain omega-3 fatty acids which aid in the boosting of the metabolism.
The next time you pass the cashews and they seem to be calling to you, don't resist them. Go ahead and grab a container. Your body will thank you.