If diabetes runs in your family, you might be worried that one day you'll be waging a war against it. You may already be eating healthy and exercising, but is that enough?
What are the early warning signs of diabetes? Can you know that you have a problem early enough to do something about it? Here are 6+ signs you should be looking for to know if you might have diabetes.
1. Excessive thirst. Because of the excess sugar running through a diabetic's system, the Mayo Clinic says that being excessively thirst and then urinating a lot may be an early warning sign of diabetes.
2. Unexplained weight loss. The American Diabetes Organization says that weight loss that occurs even though you are eating plenty and not dieting could be a sign of diabetes.
3. Unexplained hunger. According to WebMD, although you are eating plenty, you may still be extremely hungry.
4. Fatigue. The Mayo Clinic says that feeling tired without a good reason could be a sign of diabetes.
5. Slow healing. The American Diabetes Organization states that people with bruises and cuts that are slow to heal may have diabetes.
6. Blurred vision. WebMD states that changing fluid within your body can change the shape of your lenses, causing you to have blurry vision.
7. Tender gums. Mayo Clinic says that diabetes causes your immune system to weaken, so bacteria in your mouth may cause your gums to swell and be tender.
8. Tingling hands. The American Diabetes Organization reports that people with type 2 diabetes may notice tingling or numbness in their hands and feet.
Many of these symptoms can be signs of something other than diabetes, but they also go with it. If you notice these symptoms, don't hesitate to speak with your doctor and let the professional decide whether you have a problem or not.