There is nothing more embarrassing than going somewhere and looking in the mirror and seeing that your hair is showing signs of being oily at the roots. You try to wash your hair, brush it and do all the things you're supposed to, but you can't seem to win the battle.
You may be able to do more than you realize. Head to your kitchen for some ingredients for easy ways to treat your oily hair. Check out these 6 natural remedies.
1. Coconut oil. Sometimes, washing your hair strips your scalp of its natural oils, Healthline says to do a deep conditioning with coconut oil to lift excess oil from the scalp while you rehydrate your curls. Apply your warmed coconut oil to dry hair, working it into the scalp. Let it sit for 30 minutes and then wash your hair like normal.
2. Lemon juice. Lemon juice restores the pH balance of your body. Cosmopolitan says to combine the juice of 1 lemon with 1/2 cup of water. Massage this into your scalp. Then, wash your hair like normal.
3. Witch hazel. Prevention points out that an astringent can sometimes remove the oil that gathers in your hair. Combine equal parts witch hazel and mouthwash. Apply this to your scalp with cotton pads. Then wash your hair like normal.
4. Aloe vera gel. Aloe vera gel is hydrating and nourishing. Cosmopolitan recommends putting the gel straight onto your hair and leaving it for five to seven minutes. Then wash your hair like normal.
5. Beer. Prevention floats the idea of a beer rinse for helping with oily hair. It's also supposed to give extra body to your hair. You should keep your beer in the bathroom in a container that protects it from the sun so it doesn't go bad. Pour it over your hair after shampooing and then rinse with water.
6. Apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar may be good for fighting oil. Cosmopolitan says to combine 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar with 1/2 cup water. Massage this into your scalp and then wash your hair like normal.
With a little creativity, you may be able to control your oily hair easily.