If you suffer from diabetes or hypoglycemia, you may be familiar with the symptoms of low blood sugar. You begin to feel dizzy, get sweaty, have a headache, have a pounding heart or experience shakiness. You desperately need to raise your blood sugar - fast!
Knowing what are great sources of sugar that will hit your system fast means you can help your body regulate itself quickly. Check out these 7 ways you can quickly raise your blood sugar.
1. Candy. Candy is an excellent source of fast sugar. WebMD says to eat 5 to 7 Lifesavers, 10 to 15 jellybeans or 3 hard candies.
2. Juice. If you don't have any candy handy, UCSF Health recommends drinking 1/2 cup of fruit juice.
3. Soda. Sometimes soda is a good thing. Healthy Day points out that you have to use regular soda because the sugar substitutes won't help your blood sugar. You need at least 1/2 cup of regular soda.
4. Milk. You can drink regular milk, too. UCSF Health says you need to drink 1 cup of milk to get the necessary sugar.
5. Fruit. Fresh fruit is also an option. An apple or orange, some applesauce or even dried fruit is good, according to Livestrong.
6. Raisins. WebMD recommends eating 2 tablespoons of raisins. Carrying one of the little snack boxes with you is a great idea.
7. Honey. If you have a kitchen nearby, 1 tablespoon of honey, sugar or syrup will also work, according to Healthy Day.
One thing to remember is to follow these sugars with a complex carbohydrate to keep your blood sugar elevated. You don't want to crash as soon as the sugar drops out of your system.