No one likes acne, but cystic acne is even worse. Bacteria gets trapped in the skin creating large, red swollen acne that can go deep into the skin. If left untreated, cystic acne can cause permanent scarring.
The cause of this acne is largely unknown, but hormones are thought to play a major role. Stress and genetics may also be contributing factors. Once cystic acne begins to form, the hardest part is getting rid of it. Try one of these home remedies to see if you can't get your cystic acne under control.
1. Egg yolks. According to dermatologist Dr. Mary Ellen Brademas, egg yolks are an excellent source of vitamin A which is used to treat acne. The Chicago Tribune says to take raw egg yolks and place them on your face. Let them dry for 10 minutes and then wash them off. Do this for one month.
2. Egg white facial mask. To help fade the angry red color and treat black heads and white heads, Facing Acne recommends making an egg white mask with egg whites and lemon juice. Take the whites of 3 eggs and add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to them. Beat the juice and egg whites until they reach a meringue-like consistency. Apply this to your clean, dry face and let it sit for 15 minutes. Rinse your face and apply moisturizer.
3. Salicylic acid. According to Allure, salicylic acid can also be used to treat cystic acne. If you suffer from dry skin, you may want to only apply the salicylic acid directly to the acne rather than slathering it all over your face.
4. Tea tree oil. As effective as benzoyl peroxide according to WebMD, tea tree oil can be used by putting a few drops on a cotton ball and dabbing it on the acne.
5. Benzoyl peroxide. An easy, over-the-counter remedy recommended by Allure is products containing benzoyl peroxide. You can use something like Clearasil.
6. Apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar is an acid, and many in the home remedy realm like to use apple cider vinegar to treat just about everything. The Acne Project states that this acid might be able to help acne, but it can also burn the skin and make the acne even worse. The Project recommends trying more traditional remedies and proven healing techniques before trying something as sketchy as apple cider vinegar.
7. Vitamin E. LIVESTRONG shares that taking vitamin E orally for three weeks helps heal acne. Coupling oral vitamin E with topical benzoyl peroxide appears to increase the effectiveness of the benzoyl peroxide.
Say goodbye to nasty acne and hello to beautiful skin. You may have just found your go-to treatment for your acne.