Bananas are great sources of potassium and they taste great with peanut butter. When a banana gets eaten, the peel goes into the trash or compost without a second thought. What are you going to do with it?
Some people are getting creative in their uses for a banana peel. Below are 7 ways you can put the peel to use. While only two have the science to back them up, if you feel adventurous, you can give the other remedies a try and find out for yourself if they work.
1. Whiten teeth. According to Southeast Family Dental taking a ripe banana and peeling it from the bottom, not the top, and using a small part of the inside of the peel will help whiten your teeth. Rub the inside of the peel on your teeth for about two minutes.
2. Splinter removal. Top 10 Home Remedies recommends taping a piece of banana peel to where the splinter is overnight. The peel is supposed to bring the splinter to the surface so you can pull it out. Does this really work? No research has been done, so you'll have to be the judge of that.
3. Soothe a bug bite. Mosquito bites can keep you up all night. If you haven't got anything else on hand, Prevention recommends rubbing the inside of a banana peel on the bites to relieve the itch. Whether it works or not, you can decide.
4. Pimple fighter. If you like to experiment and you like the smell of bananas, then you might want to try this one. Stylecraze says that rubbing the inside of the banana peel on your face for five minutes every night will help cure pimples.
5. Remove warts. For warts that are unsightly, the University of Maryland Medical Center says to take a piece of banana peel and tape it to the wart overnight. Do it for three weeks. If the treatment is working, you will see the wart turn black and die.
6. Pain reliever. Stylcraze claims that putting a banana peel on the place that hurts for 30 minutes will cause the pain to go away. Feel free to see if it does.
7. Remove ink. For ink that gets on your hands, Prevention recommends rubbing the inside of a banana peel on the offending marks. The oils are supposed to lift the ink away.
No longer does the peel have to automatically go to the garbage. It may have more uses than you ever knew.