A damaged toenail can open the door to toenail fungus, which discolors and thickens the nail. Once contracted, getting rid of this fungus can be rather difficult. The nail is unsightly, and you don't want to wear shoes where others can see your toes.
Rather than hide your toes from the public, fight back. Below are 10 home remedies for getting rid of toenail fungus that you can try.
1. Special Epsom salt-based soak. This is an amazing solution that you can easily be used at home! Check out the video below to see how the product works and how to use it:
This solution, demonstrated in the video above, is available for purchase here.
2. Garlic. Good for more than keeping vampires away! Check out how to do this garlic home remedy at home with the help of the video below:
3. Baking soda. Besides helping get rid of any foul odor caused by the fungus, WebMD says that baking soda is good for getting rid of nail infections. It helps absorb moisture which prevents the fungus from growing. You can soak your feet in a bucket with it or make a paste to be applied.
4. Mouthwash. Another recommendation by RD is to mix equal parts mouthwash and water in which to soak your feet. The antiseptic qualities of the mouthwash help kill off what is affecting your feet.
5. Clotrimazole. Although toenail fungus is not a yeast infection, the active ingredient that helps clear a yeast infection will also help clear toenail fungus according to WebMD. Any over-the-counter yeast cream will work.
6. White vinegar. Vinegar has numerous health benefits, and one of them is the ability to kill bacteria. RD recommends soaking your feet for 30 minutes in a mixture of equal parts water and white vinegar.
7. Eucalyptus oil. Eucalyptus oil will make your feet smell fresh while at the same time killing the fungus says WebMD.
8. Cornmeal. A rather novel idea, Prevention says to soak 1 cup cornmeal in 2 quarts water for an hour before putting your feet into the soak. Let your feet enjoy this mixture for 30 minutes.
9. Mentholated cream. The Journal of American Board of Medicine did a study with Vick's Vapor Rub, and half of the study group showed improvement from applying the vapor rub to the fungus.
10. Snakeroot extract. WebMD makes a point of saying that snakeroot extract doesn't come from snakes, but rather sunflowers. This is supposed to work as well as ciclopirox.
No longer do you have to hide fungus infected toenails. You may be able to enjoy fungus-free toes once again through a little bit of patient home remedy practice.
Please SHARE this valuable information with your friends on Facebook!