We all love the fresh, relaxing scent of peppermint. While you may be familiar with using peppermint to make tea or add a burst of flavor to couscous salad, you may be surprised to learn there are many ways to use peppermint around the house. Continue reading to learn our 8 favorite uses for peppermint around the house!
1. Mouse deterrent. Peppermint is a fabulous organic, all-natural mouse deterrent, according to BulkHerbsStore. You can plant the herb around the perimeter of your house, fill socks with dried peppermint and stick them in trouble spots, or make a big pot of peppermint tea and use the liquid to clean your home. Each of these methods should keep rodents away.
2. Pest control. eHow recommends filling a spray bottle with warm water treated with 1 tablespoon pure peppermint oil. Generously spray windowsills, doorways, screens, basement levels to prevent pests from entering the home. Repeat once a month and after rainfall for best results.
3. Disinfectant. When mixed with tea tree oil, peppermint oil can be a wonderful disinfectant, says Little House Living. Use the solution on oft-touched surfaces like doorknobs and faucets to keep germs at bay.
4. Kill fleas. If your dog is suffering from fleas, spray your furry friend with a mixture of peppermint oil and epsom salts dissolved in warm water, as suggested by Little House Living.
5. Mask odors. If your garbage tends to get smelly, add a few drops of peppermint oil to the bottom of the bin to mask the odor, says Sublime Beauty Naturals.
6. All purpose cleaner. The natural anti-fungal and antibacterial properties of peppermint make it an excellent addition to the organic method of cleaning with water and vinegar, says Sublime Beauty Naturals.
7. Air freshener. Peppermint has long been used in aromatherapy. Natural Living Ideas recommends misting the air with a mixture made from 8 ounces of water with 4 drops peppermint oil, 4 drops wild orange oil, and 1 tablespoon vanilla extract. You can play with mixing and matching peppermint oil with different essential oils to find a custom scent you love.
8. Wood cleaner. Natural Living Ideas suggests mixing 6 ounces olive oil with 2 ounces white distilled vinegar, 10- 20 drops peppermint oil, and 10- 20 drops citrus oil in a glass spray bottle. Shake well, spray directly on wood surfaces, and buff with a clean, dry cloth.
How have these peppermint home remedies for use around the house helped you? Tell us your stories when you SHARE this article on social media!