Colon cleansing has gained favor over the last 10 years, making headway as a body detox trend. Most colon cleanses put lots of water in the rectum to force it to flush out any toxins it contains.
But exercise caution when considering a colon cleanse. No evidence supports the notion that colon cleanses help improve your health, and they can have some dangerous side effects. Your bowel system removes toxins from your body on its own; it doesn't need any help from a colon cleanse. Instead, health research suggests that changing your diet can help keep your colon healthy. Here are 5+ ways you can keep your colon healthy and happy.
1. High fiber. To help keep things flowing smoothly, Harvard Medical School says you need to make sure you're getting enough fiber in your diet. Eating whole grains, bran, fresh fruit, and a number of beans will help keep your colon healthy.
2. Water. WebMD reminds people to drink plenty of water throughout the day. Getting dehydrated keeps the colon from working well.
3. Alcohol. WebMD also recommends limiting your alcohol intake as it slows down your body. Drink in moderation.
4. Exercise. To keep your bowels functioning well, Medical News Today reminds you to get regular exercise. Sometimes that is the best remedy.
5. Smoking. Smoking has adverse affects on lots of bodily functions, and the colon is no exception. Medical News Today tells you to stop smoking as soon as possible.
6. Processed foods. According to the Mayo Clinic, another great way to keep your colon working well is to limit the amount of processed food you eat. Try consuming more "natural" foods in its place, such as fruits, vegetables, and unprocessed meat.
Having a healthy colon doesn't have to be uncomfortable or dangerous. Maintaining a healthy diet is key to overall colon health.