There's nothing quite like getting hot, sweating and chafing. The sweat causes the skin to break down, and the chafing rubs it raw. You end up with a raw, messy wound that makes moving around uncomfortable.
Chafing doesn't have to be limited to just the thighs, it can also afflict the chest area. Finding ways to stay dry and keep from rubbing during the warmth of summer becomes your new goal. Here are 7 ways to help prevent chafing and treat it if it happens.
1. Talcum powder. Staying dry and eliminating the friction is part of what is going to eliminate the chafing. To that end, Good Housekeeping recommends using talcum powder in the areas that tend to get moist and chafe.
2. Cornstarch. If talcum powder isn't handy, but cornstarch is in your cupboard, Cosmopolitan says that this can be used to help absorb sweat and create a barrier for protection.
3. Aloe vera gel. To aid in healing any chafing that has taken place, Stylecraze says to apply aloe vera gel. This is both soothing and healing.
4. Argan oil. Argan oil is recommended by Cosmopolitan. You can put on any area of skin that is chafed. Stylecraze recommends olive oil and calendula oil as other options if you don't have argan oil.
5. Oatmeal. If you find you're forming a rash from the chafing, Stylecraze recommends soaking in an oatmeal bath for at least 15 minutes to find some relief. To make your bath, grind 1/3 cup of oatmeal very fine and sprinkle that into your tub of warm water. If you don't like the grittiness, you can place it in a stocking and hang it on the faucet so the water runs over it as you fill the tub.
6. Vaseline. A really inexpensive solution is to put a layer of Vaseline or petroleum jelly over the area that's chafing. Good Housekeeping shares that this provides both lubrication and healing power. Two wins in one remedy.
7. Bandelettes. Cosmopolitan says to try bandelettes to completely avoid the friction in the first place. These are much like the tops of thigh-high nylons. They will allow you to breathe while keeping your thighs from rubbing. If you don't want to spend extra money and you have some spandex shorts, you can wear those instead and get the same results.
Say goodbye to the chafe and hello to freedom to move without discomfort! Where have these ideas been all my life?