Aloe vera has been known to have significant health benefits for a long time. Some people keep a plant growing in their home so they can break off a leaf and apply the gel on cuts and burns.
Aloe has more uses than just healing a cut or burn on the skin, though. This robust plant has been put to use by the cosmetic industry and is even being looked at by the dental industry. Maybe you should consider keeping some aloe vera around the house too. Check out these 6 things that aloe can do for you.
1. Relieve constipation. Constipation is never fun. Medical News Today says that aloe vera can relieve constipation. It does caution against using too much on a regular basis, but for occasional relief, it works great. Ask your doctor how much is safe to drink.
2. Reduce plaque and gingivitis. Plaque and gingivitis can be controlled through the antibacterial properties of aloe vera. These same properties can help fight against bad breath. If you want to make your own mouthwash, DIY Natural gives this recipe: 1/2 cup water, 1 cup aloe vera juice, 2 teaspoons baking soda, 10 to 20 drops peppermint essential oils.
3. Reduce bags under eyes. No one like to have bags under the eyes. Aloe vera appears to increase collagen production in the skin and improve elasticity. Dr. Axe has a "baggy eye solution." In a spray bottle, combine aloe gel, rose hip oil, lavender oil and lemon oil. Spray this under your eyes at night and massage in.
4. Treat cuts and burns. Traditionally, aloe has been used to treat cuts and burns. You can simply apply the gel from the plant straight to the burn or cut, or you can buy gel at the store and slather it on.
5. Reduce canker sores or mouth ulcers. Another great use for aloe vera is treating canker sores or mouth ulcers according to Medical News Today. Dr. Axe offers a recipe you can use daily until the sores are healed. Mix 1 teaspoon baking powder, 2 tablespoons aloe vera juice, and 1/2 cup warm water. Swish this in your mouth for at least 10 seconds and then spit it out. Do that until all of the mixture is gone.
6. Sanitize hands. Hand sanitizer is super handy when traveling. Because aloe vera has antibacterial properties, you can make your own hand sanitizer with it. Prevention says to mix 1/2 cup aloe vera gel, 1/4 cup alcohol and 20 drops of your favorite essential oil.
Aloe is such a versatile plant! Its uses go beyond just health, making it a great plant to keep in your home!