High cholesterol and high blood pressure are incredibly dangerous conditions. There are two types of cholesterol: LDL (bad) and HDL (good). The higher the LDL, the greater the risk of heart disease; the higher the HDL, the lower the risk of heart disease, explains NIH. When cholesterol is high, oxygen-rich blood can't get to the heart. Similarly, high blood pressure limits the force of blood flowing to different parts of the body.
Here are 8 home remedies to fight cholesterol and high blood pressure:
1. Small meals. How you eat is equally important as what you eat. Style Craze reports a British study that found people who eat 6- 7 small meals daily, as opposed to 3 big meals, have lower cholesterol and a 10- 20 percent reduced risk of coronary heart disease.
2. Replace white with wheat. Next time you're at the grocery store, keep this mantra at the front of your mind. Replace white pasta and bread with whole grain options. Doing so can significantly increase healthy HLD levels, says Style Craze. Whole wheat has the added benefit of giving the body a fiber boost.
3. Salmon. Foods high in omega 3-fatty acids lower bad LDL cholesterol levels. Salmon, mackerel, and herring, as well as walnuts, almonds, and flaxseeds are rich in omega 3-fatty acids, says Style Craze.
4. Cinnamon. This fiery spice is useful in reducing cholesterol. Style Craze recommends adding cinnamon to curries and desserts. It is also tasty when added to your morning coffee.
5. Potassium. Most people with high blood pressure have been told to limit their salt intake. One way to reduce the effect of sodium on blood pressure is to increase your potassium intake, says Mayo Clinic.
6. Eliminate processed foods. One major source of unnecessary sodium is processed foods. Mayo Clinic suggests cutting out processed foods as the easiest method for reducing sodium levels.
7. Watermelon seeds. The Health Orange recommends grinding dried watermelon seeds and eating 1 teaspoon on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. This home remedy works because watermelon seeds have a compound that widens blood capillaries and relieves hypertension.
8. Lemon. Control high blood pressure by drinking a cup of warm water with freshly squeezed lemon juice upon waking. The Health Orange says lemons are high in vitamin C and other natural antioxidants that reduce free radicals and lower high blood pressure.
How do you reduce cholesterol and high blood pressure? Tell us your favorite tips when you SHARE this article on social media!