As the seasons change, your diet likely also changes. Sometimes, this can lead to less than happy bowels, especially when winter welcomes heavier foods. The American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons explains a low-calorie, high-fiber diet rich in fruits and vegetables is key to a healthy colon.
If you feel your bowels are in need of a boost to get things moving, you may want to try these colon-cleansing smoothie recipes that also please the palate. With each recipe, we include a video, so you can watch along and see how easy it is to make!
1. Strawberry beet detox smoothie. This combination from Oh She Glows not only detoxes the colon and works as a diuretic but also cleanses the liver, purifies the blood and balances blood sugar. The ingredients contain anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and anti-viral properties. Watch the video below to see how to make this recipe:
2. Papaya chia seed detox smoothie. The Green Forks uses this recipe in its detox program because in addition to supporting a healthy colon, the smoothie is anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory. The bananas improve sleep and mood, as well as cholesterol and blood pressure, while the greens contain calcium, iron, copper, fiber, and antioxidants. Check out how to make it in the following video.
3. Cucumber almond butter detox smoothie. This tasty combination from The Green Forks is full of nutrients that act as powerful detox agents. They lower cholesterol, heal inflammation, fight against cancer, and normalize blood sugar. Watch how to make this smoothie:
4. Green tea. Sipping green tea throughout the day can do wonders for the colon, says The Science of Eating. It works because it contains antioxidants that help remove toxins from the body.
5. Spinach lettuce detox smoothie. Celebrity nutritionist Kimberly Snyder says her trademarked "Glowing Green" smoothie contains more greens than the average person gets in a single week. Blending the greens not only helps you get more of them, they also aid in the body's full absorption of all the vegetables' nutrients. Watch how to make this smoothie:
6. Papaya oatmeal detox smoothie. This potent smoothie from Livestrong has all the ingredients necessary to get things moving! It is especially high in fiber and will do wonders for your colon and overall metabolism. Watch how to make this recipe in the video below.
7. Senna tea detox. This tasty smoothie from Haylie Pomroy contains an extra boost from senna tea, a laxative used to treat constipation and clear the bowels. Watch how to make this recipe in the video below:
8. Apple sea salt detox. This refreshing, slightly spicy combination from Dr. Axe releases toxins by stimulating the colon. It is best to drink it warm, but not boiling, on an empty stomach in the morning.
Do you have a favorite colon detox recipe? Tell us when you SHARE this article on social media!