Do you experience shooting pain from your elbow to your fingers? Does it radiate up your arm? Does lifting or grabbing a simple cup of coffee cause you to want to drop your favorite drink in pain and discomfort? If you can answer yes, you may be suffering from tennis elbow.
To develop this ailment, you don't have to be a tennis player. Anyone who does repetitive movement with their arms or hands can fall prey to this. A doctor is best equipped to make the diagnosis, but once you know what you're up against, here are 6 things you can do at home to help treat your tennis elbow.
1. Ice massage. To help alleviate the pain, discomfort and swelling that may accompany the tennis elbow, Medical News Today says to do ice massages. According to verywellfit, you need to rub ice in a circular motion on the sore area for 10 minutes. Give the place at least an hour rest before repeating the treatment. Ice massages are most effective when repeated three to five times a day.
2. Muscle stimulation. Muscle stimulation via a TENS unit is recommended by WebMD. You can purchase these at places like Amazon.
3. Pain reliever. To help with the pain, the Mayo Clinic says to take over-the-counter pain relievers. NSAIDs like naproxen, ibuprofen and aspirin are among the best.
4. Brace. WebMD says to tape your forearm or wear a brace to give support to the injured area. This will keep you from additionally injuring the tendons and will allow the small tears to heal.
5. Rest. The best thing for tennis elbow is rest, according to the Mayo Clinic. Time is needed for the swelling in the tendons to go down. It's the best cure for the problem.
6. Practice proper technique. Often the cause for tennis elbow is improper technique in racket use and repetitive movements from things like typing or using a hammer. Medical News Today says that learning how to move properly may be what is necessary to take care of the discomfort and keep it from recurring.
The cure isn't immediate; it will take time. With patience, rest and protection of your elbow, full health should be restored, and you should be back to enjoying everything in life once again.