Sometimes a hair gets confused about which way is up. The top of hair decides to turn around and grows back down into the skin, creating a sore, infected area. Generally, ingrown hairs don't require medical attention, but they can be quite uncomfortable.
You can help take care of these pesky hairs quickly at home if you know what to do. Some of what you need is found right in your kitchen. Check out these 5 easy ways to get rid of an ingrown hair.
1. Warm compress. A great way to get the hair to the surface of the skin is with a warm compress, according to Medlicker.com. Use a soft towel and warm it with an iron or soak it warm water. Apply the compress for 10-minute intervals, three to four times daily.
2. Exfoliate. Another way to help lift the hair is through exfoliating, says Medical News Today. Coconut Mama makes a coffee body scrub from 1 cup ground coffee, 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup coconut oil, 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon and 1 tablespoon vanilla extract. Melt the coconut oil in pan and let it cool until it is almost solid. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly.
3. Tea tree oil. Tea tree oil works as an antiseptic and can help with ingrown hair removal. Home Remedy Hacks combines 1 tablespoon olive oil and 3 tablespoons tea tree oil together. Massage some of this into the affected area and let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes before washing it off. Repeat the process three times a day until the ingrown hair is gone.
4. Tweezers. Medlicker.com says that simply plucking the ingrown hair is really the best solution if your hands are steady enough for the job. Make sure the area is clean first. Use a warm compress to draw the hair to the surface; then pluck the hair. Be sure you get the follicle with it.
5. Black tea bags. Whether this one works, you'll have to be the judge, but the theory makes sense. Top 10 Home Remedies recommends using black tea bags for the tannin which has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. Moisten the tea bag and rub it on the area for two to three minutes. Repeat twice a day until the hair is gone.
An ingrown hair doesn't have to make your life miserable. A little bit of ingenuity may be all you need to get rid of your ingrown hair troubles.