No one likes zits. Black heads and white heads are both repulsive when they sit on your own face. You can purchase all kinds of expensive acne fighting products over-the-counter, but weeding through which ones work can be a chore and expensive.
The good news is that nature has some excellent options that work just as well as many of the over-the-counter products, and they're not nearly as expensive. Below are 5 home remedies you can try, and most of the ingredients you already have or can get easily at your local grocery store.
1. Tea tree oil. According to WebMD, tea tree oil works as well as benzoyl peroxide for treating acne. You can dab a five percent tea tree gel solution directly onto the acne or make a mask. Fab How? combines 2 teaspoons aloe vera gel with 3 to 4 drops tea tree oil. Mix this and apply the mask.
2. Coconut oil. Coconut oil is an antibacterial, an anti-inflammatory and a moisturizer all in one, according to WebMD, and is great for fighting acne. Beautymunsta makes an acne paste by combining 2 tablespoons of coconut oil with 10 drops of tea tree oil. Mix it until creamy and place in a container. Apply the paste after washing your face.
3. Lemon juice. Medical News Today states that lemon juice helps dry out oils on the skin and is also an antibacterial. WikiHow makes a mask from 1 egg white, beaten until frothy, and the juice from 1/2 a lemon. Add the juice to the beaten egg white and then apply the mixture to your face. Let it sit for 30 minutes. Rinse with warm water and then moisturize.
4. Witch hazel. Another great, natural acne fighter is witch hazel, according to Medical News Today. It's specifically good for white heads. Witch hazel is an astringent, closing pores and tightening the skin. You can take a cotton pad and apply the witch hazel directly to your clean skin.
5. Apple cider vinegar. Most people would probably not think of apple cider vinegar, but Women's Health shares that it is acidic and has antibacterial properties. No scientific proof backs up claims that it works, but a lot of people put stock in it. If you want to try it, make sure you dilute your vinegar first, as it has the potential to burn your skin.
Say goodbye to your acne and hello to beautiful skin. If your acne worsens or refuses to clear up, be sure to speak with your doctor. But you may have just found the answer to your acne woes.