As you age, the signs of enjoying life outdoors under the sun become clear. If you haven't bothered to protect your face with sunscreen when you were younger, you may see age spots rearing their ugly heads as early as your 30s.
Now you're taking care of your skin, but how can you undo the age spots that have already appeared? No quick answer really exists. Seeing a dermatologist to confirm that what you're seeing is indeed age spots is in order before you try any remedy. Once that's done, here are 5 home remedies you can try.
1. Yogurt. According to Dr. Doris Day on an interview with CNN, yogurt can deliver lactic acid to your skin. WebMD recommends making an anti-aging skin cleanser from a cup of plain yogurt and 2 teaspoons dried, red tea leaves.
2. Lemon juice. Bleaching age spots is another common way to try to remove them. Dr. Susan Evans points out that lemon juice does contain the necessary ingredients to bleach the skin, but it will take a long time to work. Using an over the counter product would be better.
3. Over-the-counter cream. According to the Mayo Clinic, getting a cream that contains hydroquinone, glycolic acid or kojic acid will help lighten the age spots.
4. Face peel. The Mayo Clinic states that another way to get rid of age spots is through a chemical peel. DIY Natural offers a recipe for a homemade peel from 1 ground cucumber (seeded), 1 package of gelatin, a few drops of meat tenderizer, a dash of cinnamon and some water. Whether it works or not, you can be the judge.
5. Vitamin C. WebMD states that applying vitamin C to the skin may help brighten it and lighten the age spots. Live Simply makes its own vitamin C treatment from 1 teaspoon vitamin C powder, 1 teaspoon water, 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons aloe vera gel and 1/4 teaspoon vitamin E oil. This can be applied to a clean, dry face at night.
The best way to fight age is to take care of your skin from the beginning. Protect it from the sun, eat healthily and don't abuse your body. Once the damage is done, though, you may find that you can still have great looking skin through one of the above remedies.