We all know the hardship of waxing and shaving. It can be a pain (literally!). It can also be expensive and time-consuming. Salon quotes an excerpt from the book "Plucked: A History of Hair Removal," which states the average American woman spends $10,000 and 2 full months shaving in her lifetime. Waxing 1 or 2 times a month over a lifetime amounts to an average $23,000.
Women are not alone in body hair removal. A 2005 study found more than 60 percent of American men remove hair below the neck. You may be surprised to learn voluntary hair removal is relatively new. It only gained popularity in the 1920s. However, it looks like the trend is here to stay. Save yourself time and money with these 5 natural ways to do hair removal without waxing or shaving.
1. Oatmeal scrub. Rapid Home Remedies recommends this oatmeal scrub to remove unwanted facial hair, while also exfoliating and nourishing the skin. To make a DIY oatmeal scrub, mix 1/2 teaspoon ground oatmeal with 1 tablespoon honey and 6- 8 drops fresh lemon juice. Apply the scrub to the skin and let it soak in for 15- 20 minutes. When the scrub dries, use your fingers to massage the scrub into the skin. Rub in the direction of hair growth to gently remove the hair. Wash your face and repeat twice weekly.
2. Papaya and turmeric root. This home remedy requires a bit of prep but is totally worth it. Peel and chop raw papaya into small cubes. Using a fork, mash the cubes into a thick, juicy pulp. Next, grate a small piece of raw turmeric root. Mix the turmeric zest with the papaya pulp until the turmeric is fully absorbed. Gently massage the paste into the skin and let it settle for 20 minutes. Finish by rinsing your skin with warm water. Positive Health Wellness says if you repeat twice weekly, the papain in papaya and curcumin in turmeric may stop hair from growing back.
3. Turmeric, rose water. If you liked turmeric in #2, you'll love it here. According to Positive Health Wellness, applying a thick paste made from grated turmeric root and rose water can be effective in removing hair from the legs, back, and arms. Let the paste seep into the skin for 15- 20 minutes before washing it off with warm water.
4. Egg mask. This tip from Home Remedies for Life is best used on facial hair. Mix the white from one egg with 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/2 tablespoon corn flour. Apply the mask and let it dry for 15- 20 minutes. When you're ready, slowly peel it away. Repeat 3- 4 times weekly for best results.
5. Basil and onion. This all natural method for hair removal from Home Remedies for Life uses just 2 ordinary kitchen staples: basil and onion. Crush 10- 12 basil leaves and 2 onions together in a bowl to make a paste. Apply the solution to the skin and leave the home remedy for 15- 25 minutes before rinsing with water. Repeat 3- 4 times weekly for at least 1 month to completely remove the hair from the root.
Which natural home remedy for hair removal do you like best? Tell us when you SHARE this article on social media!