We've all been there.
The excruciating, stabbing pain of a leg cramp can be so painful as to be debilitating. Have you ever wondered what causes such pain?
According to Mayo Clinic, muscle cramps can have a variety of causes, the most common being dehydration, overuse, and muscle strain. However, sometimes the cause is much more serious. You may be experiencing inadequate blood supply to the legs, nerve compression, or too few minerals.
There are a few key measures you can adopt in order to prevent and treat cramps. Continue reading to learn the best home remedies for leg cramps.
1. Cold Compress. Massage the cramped muscle with an ice pack in order to ease inflammation. 1 Million Health Tips says doing so can relieve a cramp in just a few minutes. To ensure the cramp does not have a resurgence, leave the ice on for a full 10 minutes.
2. Hot Compress. Our bodies all respond differently. Some people respond better to heat than they do to cold, so if a cold compress doesn't do the trick, try the opposite.
3. Drink water. If you suffer from chronic leg cramps, you are likely dehydrated. To remedy the problem, 1 Million Health Tips recommends drinking half your body weight in ounces every single day.
4. Stretch. Cleveland Health Clinic recommends a basic calf stretch to relieve the most stubborn of cramps. Begin by standing in front of a wall. Step back with the effected leg while leaning forward on the other leg. Push against the wall to stretch out the cramp.
5. Apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar contains the minerals calcium and potassium, deficiencies of which are typical causes of leg cramps, according to Livestrong. For best results, drink 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar diluted in water twice daily.
6. Nuts and seeds. Healthline explains nut and seeds are excellent sources of magnesium, a mineral that can help prevent leg cramps.
7. Pickle juice. Athletic trainers often recommend pickle juice to treat muscle cramps, according to Dr. David Williams. In the midst of a cramp, eat a sour pickle. To prevent a cramp, drink 2 ounces of pickle juice.
With these home remedies, you'll never again suffer through a leg cramp.
Tell us your best secrets to solving leg cramps when you SHARE this article on social media!