A sore, scratchy throat can be painful and irritating. Sometimes a throat is so irritated that you actually lose your voice! Healthline explains a sore throat has many possible causes. These include allergies, dry air, pollution, and of course, illness like the common cold, flu, and mononucleosis. Many of these illnesses and external causes can not be treated with traditional medicine.
Luckily, people have been treating sore throats naturally since the beginning of time. Instead of reaching for a bottle of cough syrup, why not try some of these home remedies? They work for bloggers and are backed up by scientific research. Every body is different, so try one or all of them! And don't forget to tell us which works best for you!
1. Hot sauce. It may seem strange that something that causes pain also fights pain. But according to Reader's Digest, the capsicum in hot peppers is known to relieve pain and fight inflammation. Gargle warm water mixed with five shakes of hot sauce or ground cayenne pepper.
2. Turmeric. The antioxidants in this pungent spice make it a warrior against sore throats. Reader's Digest recommends gargling a mixture made from 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1 cup hot water.
3. Tomato juice. The thickness of tomato juice may be soothing on a sore throat. But Reader's Digest actually recommends gargling equal parts tomato juice and hot water. Add 10 drops of hot sauce for an added kick in the fight against a painful sore throat.
4. Apple cider vinegar. The acid in apple cider vinegar will kill the germs irritating your throat. Reader's Digest suggests gargling a glass of warm water with 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar and 1 teaspoon salt. You can also gargle equal parts apple cider vinegar and honey.
5. Peppermint. Researchers at the University of Maryland Medical Center say peppermint kills bacteria, fungi, and viruses. It also works as a powerful decongestant and is effective at soothing a sore throat. So next time you have a sore throat, drink a cup of fresh peppermint tea or try using a peppermint spray.
6. Milk and honey. Hot milk may help soothe inflamed mucous membranes in the throat, says The Renegade Pharmacist. Honey is one of those classic soothing cures for a sore throat. The combination can work wonders. Remember to drink slowly for the best effects.
7. Horseradish. The Renegade Pharmacist explains horseradish has long been used in Russian communities to cure all kinds of respiratory diseases. If you can find fresh horseradish root, grate 1 teaspoon and mix it with 1 teaspoon honey in warm water. Drink slowly. If you can't find fresh horseradish, substitute the creamy store-bought version.
A sore throat is the worst. But with these home remedies, there is no reason to suffer.
How do you treat a sore throat? Tell us and SHARE this article on social media!